55 Great Technology Topics for a Debate Format
Oftentimes, instructors use the debate format to help learners improve their speaking skills. This activity helps students to learn how to correctly structure an argument and how to make its presentation strong. These skills are highly demanded in ordinary life. A good debater knows how to articulate personal ideas, resolve a conflict, control emotions, and be emotionally intelligent. Such a person is a good critical thinker who also has good presentation skills and a wide worldview. On this page, you will find useful information about the debate format and learn how to choose interesting topics for debates.
A debate can be defined as an official discussion of a specific topic where the opponents present their views. The process has an established structure: each participant has a certain amount of time to present the arguments either for or against the issue at hand.
One has to choose a truly interesting topic for the debates to be fascinating. Still, this is not an easy task to find a good theme. It is necessary to choose a discussion question that would be of interest to both the discussion team and the audience.
Be aware that choosing a topic only on the basis of its controversial aspects cannot ensure a fascinating debate and discussion. You need to scrutinize opinions on a chosen topic and collect data that will be used to support each side. This way, the chosen theme will be complicated enough for students to discuss and conduct a long debate.
Interesting Topics: Debate on Technology in the Classroom
In case you need to conduct an engaging debate in class, do not just focus on your own preferences and tastes when choosing the theme. The rest of the students should also benefit from discussing this issue. For instance, a topic that is relevant to your community or school may be a good choice. This can be a pressing issue widely discussed in the media. One way or another, you should spend enough time looking for data, such as current polls or basic research on your topic. Arguments that are based on empirical evidence will make the discussion really hot and engaging. A correctly led debate will help students to deeply understand both sides of the same coin and equip them with the knowledge necessary for making informed decisions.
Check these quick tips to choose an appropriate topic for the upcoming debate.
- Concern – You should be really interested in the chosen issue. You are the person who will present this topic to your audience. If you are not deeply concerned about this issue, you will not convince your listeners.
- Target Audience Level – You should consider the level of your listeners while choosing a topic for debate. People should be able to understand what you are trying to say and the deep meaning of your words.
- Data – Research both sides of the problem, all the pros and cons. This way your counterarguments will be strong enough to convince your audience.
- Potential for discussion – The chosen theme should have a good argument potential. If it is obvious that only one point of view is justified, or if there is not enough data to support both points of view, this will not be a good debate.
In case you are lost in the sea of burning issues discussed in the media, we suggest that you take a closer look at the theme of technology. A debate on technology in the classroom can be really fascinating.
Learn more "Topic Ideas for Business Essays"
55 Technology Related Debate Topics
New technologies are widely discussed today. Such topics as machine learning, GM foods and AI are full of controversies. Discussing them will make learners think critically in terms of the influence of technology on humanity, future work, ecology, wealth distribution, etc.
To discuss technology in a school debate, you can focus on social media and its influence on the modern mode of communication. For the young learners, it will be interesting to discuss the pros and cons of using video games in the learning process. In general, you should take a closer look at areas such as cybersecurity and privacy, technologies and productivity, and the Internet.
So, if you want your debate on technology be successful, choose one of the following topics:
- Personal isolation and technologies: is there a problem?
- Artificial intelligence as one more stage in human development.
- Driverless cars: benefits and dangers.
- The impact of social networks on our relationships.
- How much should an average app cost?
- AI as a threat to humanity: is it real?
- Do advanced technologies result in our laziness?
- The colonization of space: a dream or a reality?
- The pros and cons of using information from health websites.
- Nuclear weapons as a danger to humanity and a guarantee of peace.
- The possibility of creating a dangerous virus in the lab.
- Privacy and the data businesses collect about us.
- Online businesses and cybersecurity: is it overlooked?
- The pros and cons of banning animal testing.
- The use of classroom technology: the benefits and the drawbacks.
- Money spent to explore the other planets: is it worth it?
- A robot tax: should it be applied?
- The impact of digitalization on healthcare: is it positive or negative?
- Do video games make children stupid or smart?
- Money spent on NASA: is it worth it?
- Time spent by children on the Internet: should it be monitored?
- Technology and the quality of life: is there a link?
- The pros and cons of species revivalism.
- The cost of space travel: should one pay so much for a questionable pleasure.
- Electric cars: pros and cons.
- Money spent on Mars exploration: is it worth it?
- Will we have to become cyborgs to surpass artificial intelligence?
- Should HRs check the applicant’s Facebook profile?
- Does technology influence our intellectual potential?
- Technology: the opportunity to commit a crime or the chance to prevent new crimes.
- Computer games as classroom activities.
- Online help to cope with stress: does it work?
- Can robots and computers displace teachers and doctors?
- Should scientists work to create biological human-computer hybrids?
- Censorship on the Internet: should it ever be implemented?
- Test-tube babies: benefits and the dangers.
- Laws and Internet technologies: are there any inconsistencies?
- Cultural decline resulting from the spread of television: truth or fallacy.
- Is there a real danger from AI?
- Street cameras: the maintenance of security or the violation of privacy?
- Is there a real need for internal combustion engines to stop global warming?
- AI vs. human intelligence: who will be the winner?
- Is there a need for a relevant search engine to create rivalry for Google?
- Should our government fund the creation of new weapons?
- Emerging technologies: harm or benefit to our future?
- Are laws lagging behind emerging technologies?
- World hunger: is GM food a right solution?
- Neutral lace technology: a blessing or a curse?
- Are we becoming less productive because of emerging technologies?
- Do the messengers improve communication?
- Genetic engineering: is there any danger?
- Will we be able to control modern machines?
- Renewable energy vs. fossil fuels.
- Is there a real future for cryptocurrencies?
- Online vs. on-the-spot education: which one is better?
As you can see, there are numerous debate topics about technology. Now that you know what theme to choose, you should start preparing for the discussion.
Learn also about "Demonstrative Essay Topics"
Debate Strategies and Helpful Tips
First and foremost, when choosing the right topic for discussion, do not forget to make sure it matches the level of your audience. It can be a college, high-school or university level debate. Next, the opponents can be equipped with the same data. Still, they can use the data from different perspectives to defend their point of view. In other words, the data can be the same, but the points of view can differ.
Finally, you should never use topics that are too personal for you or the class in general. First, you should be able to control your emotions, and this will hardly be possible in case the issue is too close to your heart. Second, you must be open to criticism and you will feel insulted in case the topic makes your heart bleed. As a result, you will not cope with the debate well. Thus, when picking the theme, think if you can handle the counterarguments without feeling offended.
Now that you know how to choose the right topic, you need to get ready for the class debate. Use these debate strategies and tips to succeed in the upcoming discussion.
Look Through the Evidence
This is one of the most important steps that will surely boost your confidence. Make sure to use only reputable and relevant sources. Think of the ways to use the information effectively.
Being well aware of all aspects of the issue at hand, you will be able to present strong arguments and resist the attacks of your opponents.
Think of the Possible Arguments of your Opponents
Rebuttal is the part and parcel of any debate. You should be ready to rebut opposing views. Try to think like your opponent. What are your possible arguments? Note that being able to offer a strong refutation will automatically make your position stronger.
Learn to use the Speech Time Effectively
The time to present your arguments is limited. Thus, you should be able to use every minute effectively. Use a timer while trying to present your arguments at home. In case you lack time to present your ideas, try to write them down and shorten the text. In case you have some time left, add more facts to your speech.
Work to Build Confidence
Many people are afraid of presenting ideas in front of an audience. Thus, invite some friends to your place and ask them to listen to you. Try to speak clearly and slowly. Your opponents should be able to understand you.
You should think of debate as a good opportunity to gain more public speaking experience. This is a chance to practice defending your point of view. We hope that our list of topics and our tips will help you to get ready for class debates.
Still, at Best-Writing-Service.net we know that preparing for a debate is time-consuming and exhausting work. It can be difficult to pick the right topic, let alone the process of finding facts and data. There is good news. We can offer you the way out! You choose the topic, and we provide you with a professional writer to do the rest.
An Expert in Debate Writing from Best-Writing-Service.net
In case you need to hire a debate writing expert, Best-Writing-Service.net should be your number one choice! Why? Because we are a custom writing company with twenty years of history in this field. Our writers are well-educated and highly experienced. We always meet the deadlines and double-check every paper to make sure all the requirements are met.
We provide only unique works and protect our customers’ privacy. Choose the topic that is interesting to you and place your order today!